Pages

Search Tired Legs and Trail Running

Monday, September 2, 2013

2013 Wapack Trail Race Recap

This is a fantastic event that I very much enjoyed, but the course is absolutely brutal. It starts in New Ipswich New Hampshire and follows the Wapack Trail to Ashburnham Mass 9 miles away, then you turn around and head back.

When the race started off I dropped in just behind the lead group. I was enjoying running the downhill logging road and knew that this was going to be the only "easy running" for the day. Just when you start to feel good there's Barrett Mtn. I could still see the leaders until around halfway up the climb where there was a downed tree over the trail that you had to crawl under. After that I was by myself until the turnaround point at mile 9 in 5th place I think.

The climb up Barrett on fresh legs isn't too bad, I managed to at least keep a running motion the entire way up. Once at the top the trail turns into a series of smaller ups and downs as you make your way over New Ipswich and Pratt Mtns. These ups and downs feel a whole lot bigger on the way back though.  After Pratt you drop down to Binney Pond and eventually reach the first aid station. There was some flat running at this point, but for the most part your on a long slight uphill until you hit Mt Watatic.  I hit the top of Watatic and made my way down to the turnaround as fast as I could, the leaders passed me heading back up about halfway down the Mtn.

When I hit the turnaround point and aid station at the bottom of the mountain my first thought was, damn I really have to go back over those things. I felt pretty good up until this point, but I knew the way back was going to hurt.

As I left the aid station the next group of runners was heading in. I decided that I better save a little energy for the end of the race and hiked up the steep parts of Watatic instead of trying to run the whole thing. I was passed on the way up and fell back into 6th.  After Watatic on the way back was my favorite part of the course, besides one or two small climbs it's almost all a slight downhill on the way back to Binney Pond. I was tired and starting to hurt, so I knew I would not be fast going back up the final climbs. I gave it my all from here back to Binney Pond and it felt great to open up and run.

At one point on this stretch I caught a root and managed to fall face first into a mud puddle, which all in all wasn't too bad I suppose, at least I had a soft landing. I slowed down at the pond and saved some energy for the climb ahead. I was passed by another runner here and fell back to 7th.

To me the climb back up Pratt was the most brutal of all. I dragged myself up this thing praying for the top around every bend. I hit the top and my legs were spent. Those smaller ups and downs that were relatively easy on the way out became grueling now. I ended up hiking all of the uphills and running as fast as my exhausted legs would carry me on the flats and downs.

When I reached the top of Barrett Mountain and saw the trail head downhill in front of me I knew I was almost done. I happily ran down the mountain to the logging road which goes back to the finish. Once on the road you remember that it was downhill on the way in. At this point I began to curse and say a very many not nice things about hills inside of my own head as I shuffled uphill to the finish.

I managed to make it up this last stretch of the trail and finish right around 3:11, which was good for 7th place unofficially.

The post race was great with plenty of food and drink including pizza. I also received some beer for finishing second in my age group which was a nice little surprise! This race kicked my butt, but it also makes me want to do more mountain running. It's a different type of challenge than running on flat trails or roads. Hopefully I will be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment